Easy and quick stir-fried pork with peppers recipe, Chinese style! The pork is fried twice to remove excess moisture, giving it a tender, yet chewy texture.
Stir-fried pork with peppers is an absolutely flavourful stir-fry that goes well with plain, steamed jasmine rice. It is one of my family favourites and really easy to prepare. I find this a very convenient dish to put together, especially when I have leftover pork that isn’t quite enough to prepare as a main meat dish.
I found a really good cookbook, the only one in my collection that features the varied cuisines of China. Quite simply titled ‘Authentic Recipes from China’, the recipe contributors explain, that pork is ‘twice-cooked’ as it uses previously cooked leftover pork to prepare this dish, but naturally, fresh pork can also be used.
I like to prepare any stir-fried pork recipe using slightly marbled pork. That’s because I find that streaky pork or pork with slightly more fat will go a long way in terms of enhancing the flavour and texture of your stir-fries, and it always turns out fabulous! Cooking the pork several times is intended to remove all the moisture and gives the meat a distinctive texture.
Stir-fried Pork with Coloured Peppers
- 250 g fresh marbled pork sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 spring onion roughly chopped
- 2 - 3 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp salted black beans soaked, drained and slightly mashed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a wok over high heat. When hot, add pork slices and lightly stir-fry until cooked. Dish out and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in the same wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add the peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the sliced pork and stir-fry together for 1 minute. Dish out pork and peppers and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in the wok over low medium heat. Add chilli paste and stir-fry for half a minute, then add garlic, ginger, salted black beans, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir-fry for 1 minute, mixing thoroughly. Return the pork and peppers to the wok, stir-fry and toss the mixture to mix well and heat through. Add chopped spring onions and toss to mix well. Dish out and serve hot.